Thursday, March 1, 2012

True Identity, Chapter 48th

 Chapter 48 of My Novel:

    "You know how dangerous it is for you to be here? What if Llewellyn finds out that you have gone and the flash drive too?"
    "He already knows the flash drive is missing, or I think so. because he has woken up in the middle of the night and started looking for something. I acted as if I were sleeping. I could not stand being in my room doing nothing while I had the flash drive in my possession. I have to find out what is in here," I say pointing at it.
    "Okay, I understand you. Let´s get this done and you can return to your room as soon as possible." That is what I like most about Clark, he is very understanding with everybody and he is the most helpful person I know.
    "Here it is, can we plug it in your computer. I do not want the hospital to have this information in their computer."
    "But what makes you think that it is not a virus?"
    "I just have to find out, I have the impression that it is something very important."
    "I will trust you."
    The next moments were very tense for me,  it all seemed to happen at a very slow speed. I was starting to get mad. I watched as he put the pen in the hole and then we had to wait for five minutes. I think those were the most stressful minutes of my life. Suddenly, a white bright page appeared on the computer´s screen. I was completely sure it was not a virus until that moment. However, Clark calmed me down saying that he recognized it and it was not a virus. We needed a password though. A password that we did not have.
    "It is very strange, very strange..." says Clark.
    "Why? You said that you recognized it," I said confused.
    "That is why, it is like the programs we make in America."
    "Do you mean...?"
    "Exactly! This flash drive contains the American mafia´s information."
    "That makes no sense, why would Myer want it then?"
    "I know what you are thinking, but you are wrong. He does not want it so he can know the information. He wants it, so the other mafia won´t find out."
    "It must be very important," I say.
    "Why don´t we just call Mr. Val and ask him?"
    Clark is very stupid sometimes, "He will not tell us because he does not want us to find out. Do you understand it? We will have to figure this out by ourselves."
    "Okay! I got it, we have to think like Mr. Val."
    "What do you have to put? Numbers or letters?"
    "It can be any seven letters/ numbers code."
    "Is there a way to guess it?" I ask.
    "We can try everything we think it may be possibility. But... there is no certain way we can really know the password."
    Suddenly, all my hopes and dreams blow out, if Clark thinks it is difficult to find out, no one will be able to figure it out. No one!
     "What are we going to do?" I whisper.
     "I think that Mit might have an idea of the code because he is Mr. Val´s favourite. He might have heard about it...."
    "If he weren’t in comma, of course he could help us. But-"
    "That is my point, don´t forget that Mit is going to be disconnected from the machine that keeps him alive in two weeks. We must find the medicine, which is the most important thing, more important than the flashdrive."
     For some reason his comment annoys me. I think that it is because he is right; I should not be worried about the flash drive. I should be worried about Mit.
    "I will work on this throughout the night if you want me too, but I think you should go to your room now."
    "No, don´t bother about the flash drive, give it back to me. Spend all your time looking for information about the medicine that will likely save Mit. I want to know if there is a safer way to get it besides negotiating with the Chinese. They hate me because I killed his wife."
    "You are not Suzanne now, you are Anne. That is why Llewellyn is helping you remember that!"
    I almost forgot I looked diferent because there are no mirrors in case the patients want to cut themselves. That is kind of true, but will he negotiate with the Italian mafia then?
    "Oh yes! That is true, I almost forgot."
    "So, you do not want me to try and decipher the password?" asks Clark loudly in the middle of the silent computer lab.
    "No! We are going to save Mit, he is more important than whatever information is in here."
    "I knew you were going to say that. Here, I do not want to lose it," he says handing me the pen.
    "What are you going to tell Llewellyn in private?"
    "That you are going to die in two weeks and you need the medicine the Chinese mafia has. He will do the work for you."
   "Try to be convincing." I say while I walk to leave the room.
   "Don´t worry, I am a professional doctor."
   I leave Clark´s floor and go to mine hoping that Llewellyn is sleeping. Dreadfully, I am not that lucky.
    "Where were you, Anne? I was mad when I did not see you, you really scared me," asks Llewellyn desperate. I can see the tiredness in his eyes while he is talking to me, and I do not know how to answer his questions. I cannot just say that I went to the computer lab to find Clark...
    "Are you okay?" asks Llewellyn repeatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment