Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Waters of Gold


Reader’s Response:
 

Title:  Waters of Gold

Genre:  Fantasy

Student’s Name: Beatriz Zambrano Serrano

Pages:  812-817



1.     Identify and explain the meaning of a symbol in the story in a complete sentence:

There are a lot of symbols in this story. Some of them are the following:

The ants, snakes, and bugs symbolize the evilness and greediness the old rich women had.  The gold symbolizes the kindness and politeness that Aunt Lily had.

The bucket of water symbolizes good against evil.  It can be used to transform into gold, or used to transform into bugs, snakes and ants.

2.     State the them and defend it in a paragraph using details:

The theme in this story is that kindness comes with no price. It means that if you do something nice for someone, you can’t expect them to return you back. You should do nice actions because your heart tells you to, not because you want the reward.

3.     Describe the main internal and external conflict:

The rich woman had an internal conflict which she learned after her punishment. Before, she only looked for money, and she was greedy. However, she changed and she learned how to be kind with others.

The main external conflict is that the people that lived in the town fought with teeth, elbows, and legs to get to the beggar. They fought because they wanted the money that the beggar had given to Aunt Lily.

4.     Compare the lesson earned in this story to a similar lesson you or someone you know has experienced.

I was walking around my city, when I saw this old lady carrying multiple bags. She seemed sick and week, but she was still carrying three full bags of food. I helped her out with the bags until we arrived in her house. She said thank you, and I went home. I didn’t tell anyone because I forgot about it. I forgot about it, until the next week when my teacher told me that the old lady wrote an article about me in our city’s newspaper saying how kind I was. I didn’t understand why she wrote it. We met for the first day that day, but my mom told me that old people are very grateful. Without expecting anything for helping her, I got an award, all the people in my “city” thought I was a very nice person.

5.     Compare the symbols in the story to a similar symbol in your life, or someone you know.

Nowadays, a snake also symbolizes poison, and evilness. It’s like in the story when the snake bit the rich old lady, giving her sicknesses.

6.     Compare the struggle in this story to a similar struggle you or someone you know has experienced.

A lot of people don’t help poor beggars in the street. They just pass away. I know that you can’t really help every poor person you see in the streets, but at least you don’t have to show them that you don’t care about them. You should feel lucky because you don’t have to live like that. However, I ‘ve seen people kicking the beggar’s bowls, or looking at them with superiority

No comments:

Post a Comment